Budget and Financial Information
Let’s talk about the budget
The 2022 Proposed Budget and Financial Plan works to align investments with the priorities Elgin residents identified in the recent community survey, as well as the City’s 2018-2022 Strategic Principles and Priorities.
Read the 2021 Adopted Budget and Financial Plan to learn how the City builds the budget, how the budget benefits Elgin residents, where your tax dollars go, and more.
This page is updated regularly, so check in often, learn about the budget and help us see what’s important to you!
We want to hear from you!
Join the Discussion
Budget Meeting Schedule
- Wednesday, November 3, 6:00 p.m., Council Chambers, City Hall
- Wednesday, November 10, 5:00 p.m., Council Chambers, City Hall
- Wednesday, November 17, 5:00 p.m., Council Chambers, City Hall
- Wednesday, December 1, 5:00 p.m., Council Chambers, City Hall
- Wednesday, December 15, 6:00 p.m., Council Chambers, City Hall
2022 Budget News
- Daily Herald (12/3/21): Elgin council approves adding Spanish translator to city payroll during budget discussions
- Courier News (12/2/21): City of Elgin to hire a Spanish translator to help residents who need help with city services but aren’t proficient in English
- Courier News (11/30/21): Elgin fire chief seeks funding for an EMA division chief to oversee emergency situations and focus on future readiness
- Daily Herald (11/19/21): Elgin council focusing on park improvements during 2022 budget deliberations
- Courier News (11/18/21): Elgin to sell $5 million in bonds and enact new tax to pay for new playground equipment in as many as 22 parks
- Daily Herald (11/8/21): Elgin's proposed 2022 budget includes no property tax hike or fee increases
- Courier News (11/4/21): No property tax or fee hikes in Elgin’s proposed 2022 budget, but picture not as rosy for the two years after that