Do I need my vehicle's title and registration?
Whether you have just purchased a vehicle or have just moved to Elgin from outside of the state or area, you are required by law to have your vehicle titled to you and registered in the state of Illinois and in the city of Elgin. To complete the state title and registration process, you must go to the nearest branch of the Secretary of State immediately after purchasing your vehicle or within 30 days of moving to this state, or 10 days of moving into this area, to fill out the appropriate paperwork and order your Illinois license plates. Costs for these services vary and can be described in full at the Secretary of State offices. The nearest Secretary of State office is located at 595 South State Street in Elgin and their phone number is 847-697-2100.

Show All Answers

1. Where can I find general information about the Elgin Police Department?
2. What happens with an abandoned vehicle?
3. What is Elgin's bicycle registration policy?
4. What do I do if I suspect there is a child abuse situation?
5. What is the Citizen's Police Academy?
6. What Community Relations/Crime Prevention programs are there?
7. What is the Crime-Free Housing Unit?
8. How can Crime Prevention help a business?
9. What does Elgin do about curfew violations?
10. How can I get information about domestic violence?
11. What is the city's door-to-door solicitor policy?
12. How do I file a drug or gang activity complaint?
13. Does Elgin charge for false alarm responses?
14. What are some home safety tips?
15. What can I do about illegally parked vehicles?
16. How do I report a missing person?
17. What happens if I receive a moving violation?
18. What is the Neighborhood Watch program?
19. What happens with reported noise violations?
20. How do I obtain a police record or report?
21. Does the city monitor overweight vehicles?
22. What information is available about parking violations?
23. What personal safety tips do you offer?
24. What are police chaplains for?
25. What information should be provided in a police emergency?
26. How may I schedule a police department tour?
27. How can I schedule a ride-along?
28. Do I need my vehicle's title and registration?
29. Does the department offer vacation house watch services?
30. Do you offer victim services?
31. Does Elgin have a women's safehouse?