What information should be provided in a police emergency?

In the event you need the emergency services of the Elgin police or fire department and you live within the city of Elgin, call 911. If you live outside of the city limits, call 847-289-2700. When you dial 911 for emergency assistance, the dispatcher will answer the phone and ask you questions about the emergency. They are: your name, the address of the emergency, the telephone number you are calling from, a brief description of the emergency such as "an intruder is in my house," or "there is an accident at the intersection of ADDRESS and ADDRESS." Emergency dispatchers agree that remaining calm is the most important thing you can do to help them help you. The telecommunicator will, many times, continue to question you after the appropriate police, fire, EMS units are dispatched. In emergency medical situations, the telecommunicators are trained to provide you with emergency medical information which may be used prior to paramedics arrivial. The questioning does not slow down the emergency response. The telecommunicators ask these questions to help them accurately evaluate your specific situation, ensuring the correct type of equipment and number of personnel are assigned. Any information which may affect officers or firefighter safety is also broadcasted to the responding units. For additional information about Emergency Communications, please stop by the Elgin Police Department located at 151 Douglas Ave, Elgin, between the hours of 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m., Monday -Friday or you may call 847-289-2770.

Communications Division

Show All Answers

1. Where can I find general information about the Elgin Police Department?
2. What happens with an abandoned vehicle?
3. What is Elgin's bicycle registration policy?
4. What do I do if I suspect there is a child abuse situation?
5. What is the Citizen's Police Academy?
6. What Community Relations/Crime Prevention programs are there?
7. What is the Crime-Free Housing Unit?
8. How can Crime Prevention help a business?
9. What does Elgin do about curfew violations?
10. How can I get information about domestic violence?
11. What is the city's door-to-door solicitor policy?
12. How do I file a drug or gang activity complaint?
13. Does Elgin charge for false alarm responses?
14. What are some home safety tips?
15. What can I do about illegally parked vehicles?
16. How do I report a missing person?
17. What happens if I receive a moving violation?
18. What is the Neighborhood Watch program?
19. What happens with reported noise violations?
20. How do I obtain a police record or report?
21. Does the city monitor overweight vehicles?
22. What information is available about parking violations?
23. What personal safety tips do you offer?
24. What are police chaplains for?
25. What information should be provided in a police emergency?
26. How may I schedule a police department tour?
27. How can I schedule a ride-along?
28. Do I need my vehicle's title and registration?
29. Does the department offer vacation house watch services?
30. Do you offer victim services?
31. Does Elgin have a women's safehouse?