What happens with reported noise violations?
The city of Elgin has adopted a noise ordinance that prohibits excessive and annoying sounds. The ordinance varies to include loud music from a motor vehicle, unnecessary noise from a vehicle, amplified noise, power equipment sounds and dogs barking. To receive a brochure that summarizes the ordinance, contact the EPD Community Relations/Crime Prevention Division at 847-289-2530. If you would like to view the ordinance in its entirety, visit www.cityofelgin.org, City Clerk and click into Ordinances. Events or actions may be prohibited if they cause a noise disturbance. Violations are enforced by the department and can result in court appearances and fines. To report a suspected violation, call 847-289-2700. Ordinance Information

Show All Answers

1. Where can I find general information about the Elgin Police Department?
2. What happens with an abandoned vehicle?
3. What is Elgin's bicycle registration policy?
4. What do I do if I suspect there is a child abuse situation?
5. What is the Citizen's Police Academy?
6. What Community Relations/Crime Prevention programs are there?
7. What is the Crime-Free Housing Unit?
8. How can Crime Prevention help a business?
9. What does Elgin do about curfew violations?
10. How can I get information about domestic violence?
11. What is the city's door-to-door solicitor policy?
12. How do I file a drug or gang activity complaint?
13. Does Elgin charge for false alarm responses?
14. What are some home safety tips?
15. What can I do about illegally parked vehicles?
16. How do I report a missing person?
17. What happens if I receive a moving violation?
18. What is the Neighborhood Watch program?
19. What happens with reported noise violations?
20. How do I obtain a police record or report?
21. Does the city monitor overweight vehicles?
22. What information is available about parking violations?
23. What personal safety tips do you offer?
24. What are police chaplains for?
25. What information should be provided in a police emergency?
26. How may I schedule a police department tour?
27. How can I schedule a ride-along?
28. Do I need my vehicle's title and registration?
29. Does the department offer vacation house watch services?
30. Do you offer victim services?
31. Does Elgin have a women's safehouse?