What happens if I receive a moving violation?
The police department issues tickets for moving violations within the city of Elgin. Tickets will indicate the amount of the fine and are payable within ten days of the court date. Most moving violations are payable without a court appearance and you may choose to pay the fine prior to your hearing date. Note that payment of the fine is an admittance of guilt in the offense and cannot be appealed. Fines are payable to the Clerk of Kane County, located at 540 S. Randall Road, St Charles, Il. 60174, between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, or by mail to the address printed on the summons. If the charge on your summons is not pre-payable or if you wish to contest the charge, you must appear in court for an arraignment at the time and place specified on the summons. Failure to appear in court will result in issuance of a bench warrant for your arrest. For more information about moving violations in the City of Elgin, contact the City of Elgin Traffic Investigations main offices, located at 151 Douglas Ave in Elgin between 7:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, or call them at 847-289-2660.

Show All Answers

1. Where can I find general information about the Elgin Police Department?
2. What happens with an abandoned vehicle?
3. What is Elgin's bicycle registration policy?
4. What do I do if I suspect there is a child abuse situation?
5. What is the Citizen's Police Academy?
6. What Community Relations/Crime Prevention programs are there?
7. What is the Crime-Free Housing Unit?
8. How can Crime Prevention help a business?
9. What does Elgin do about curfew violations?
10. How can I get information about domestic violence?
11. What is the city's door-to-door solicitor policy?
12. How do I file a drug or gang activity complaint?
13. Does Elgin charge for false alarm responses?
14. What are some home safety tips?
15. What can I do about illegally parked vehicles?
16. How do I report a missing person?
17. What happens if I receive a moving violation?
18. What is the Neighborhood Watch program?
19. What happens with reported noise violations?
20. How do I obtain a police record or report?
21. Does the city monitor overweight vehicles?
22. What information is available about parking violations?
23. What personal safety tips do you offer?
24. What are police chaplains for?
25. What information should be provided in a police emergency?
26. How may I schedule a police department tour?
27. How can I schedule a ride-along?
28. Do I need my vehicle's title and registration?
29. Does the department offer vacation house watch services?
30. Do you offer victim services?
31. Does Elgin have a women's safehouse?