How do I report a missing person?
If you suspect that someone you know is either missing or has run away, you can file a missing persons report with the Elgin Police Department anytime following the person's disappearance. When you make your report, the police officer or dispatcher will ask for your name, address, and phone number for informational purposes; however, you may choose to remain anonymous. Any information you provide will be kept strictly confidential. An officer will gather pertinent facts about the missing person, such as where and when they were last seen and who they were with. It is always helpful if you can provide a physical description, facial features, the clothing they were last seen wearing before they disappeared, and the ages of the people involved. If a vehicle is involved, a description will be very helpful, including the color, make, model, year, and license plate. Any detail you can remember will greatly assist the police in locating the person or apprehending anyone connected with the disappearance. After you file your report, be as patient as possible while the department investigates the case. Be assured that officers will make every effort to quickly and comprehensively follow up on each situation. For more information, or to file a missing persons report, contact the Elgin Police Department located at 151 Douglas Avenue, Elgin, IL 60120 or call 847-289-2700

Show All Answers

1. Where can I find general information about the Elgin Police Department?
2. What happens with an abandoned vehicle?
3. What is Elgin's bicycle registration policy?
4. What do I do if I suspect there is a child abuse situation?
5. What is the Citizen's Police Academy?
6. What Community Relations/Crime Prevention programs are there?
7. What is the Crime-Free Housing Unit?
8. How can Crime Prevention help a business?
9. What does Elgin do about curfew violations?
10. How can I get information about domestic violence?
11. What is the city's door-to-door solicitor policy?
12. How do I file a drug or gang activity complaint?
13. Does Elgin charge for false alarm responses?
14. What are some home safety tips?
15. What can I do about illegally parked vehicles?
16. How do I report a missing person?
17. What happens if I receive a moving violation?
18. What is the Neighborhood Watch program?
19. What happens with reported noise violations?
20. How do I obtain a police record or report?
21. Does the city monitor overweight vehicles?
22. What information is available about parking violations?
23. What personal safety tips do you offer?
24. What are police chaplains for?
25. What information should be provided in a police emergency?
26. How may I schedule a police department tour?
27. How can I schedule a ride-along?
28. Do I need my vehicle's title and registration?
29. Does the department offer vacation house watch services?
30. Do you offer victim services?
31. Does Elgin have a women's safehouse?