What does Elgin do about curfew violations?
To insure the safety of Elgin citizens, especially minors, the Elgin Police Department enforces curfew regulations for children under the age of 17. These regulations make it unlawful for children to loiter, idle, or play unsupervised in parks, playgrounds, vacant lots, or other public places and buildings between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. Sunday through Thursday and 12:01 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. on Friday and Saturday. Additionally, it is unlawful for children to loiter, idle, or play unsupervised on public highways, throughways, or other right-of-ways, whether on foot or by vehicle, at any time. This law does not apply to a minor accompanied by his or her parent, guardian, or other adult responsible for child care and custody, or in situations where the minor is upon an emergency errand or legitimate business directed by the parent, guardian or adult supervisor. Violation of this ordinance will result in a written "Notice to Appear" to the parents and subsequent violations will result in enforcement of the ordinance, including fines for the child’s parents if they knowingly permit the minor to violate this regulation. For more information about the curfew regulation, or to report a suspected violation of the law, contact the Juvenile Investigative Unit at 847-289-2627. Juvenile Division

Show All Answers

1. Where can I find general information about the Elgin Police Department?
2. What happens with an abandoned vehicle?
3. What is Elgin's bicycle registration policy?
4. What do I do if I suspect there is a child abuse situation?
5. What is the Citizen's Police Academy?
6. What Community Relations/Crime Prevention programs are there?
7. What is the Crime-Free Housing Unit?
8. How can Crime Prevention help a business?
9. What does Elgin do about curfew violations?
10. How can I get information about domestic violence?
11. What is the city's door-to-door solicitor policy?
12. How do I file a drug or gang activity complaint?
13. Does Elgin charge for false alarm responses?
14. What are some home safety tips?
15. What can I do about illegally parked vehicles?
16. How do I report a missing person?
17. What happens if I receive a moving violation?
18. What is the Neighborhood Watch program?
19. What happens with reported noise violations?
20. How do I obtain a police record or report?
21. Does the city monitor overweight vehicles?
22. What information is available about parking violations?
23. What personal safety tips do you offer?
24. What are police chaplains for?
25. What information should be provided in a police emergency?
26. How may I schedule a police department tour?
27. How can I schedule a ride-along?
28. Do I need my vehicle's title and registration?
29. Does the department offer vacation house watch services?
30. Do you offer victim services?
31. Does Elgin have a women's safehouse?