If I have an Elgin address, why am I charged non-resident rates?

To receive resident rates, you must reside within the corporate boundaries of the City of Elgin, which means you pay taxes to the City of Elgin. Those who have an Elgin address but are outside of the city limits pay taxes to Elgin Township. Two determining factors of residency are: 1. Do you pay a city water bill? If yes, you live in the City of Elgin and are considered a resident. 2. Do you have a fire lane number in your address? If yes, you live in Elgin Township, and are considered a non-resident. Owning a business, or rental property, in which you do not reside, does not qualify for resident rates.

Show All Answers

1. Where can I get a Parks and Recreation Activity Guide?
2. How do I register for programs?
3. If I have an Elgin address, why am I charged non-resident rates?
4. What are the hours of operation for the outdoor pools?
5. Can I rent the pool for a private party?
6. Where can I find information on parks in Elgin?
7. How do I rent a picnic shelter?
8. When are the parks open?
9. When is Hawthorne Hill Nature Center open?
10. How do I get information about the Lords Park Pavilion and rental availability?
11. How do I reserve the bridge area at Lords Park for pictures, etc.
12. How do I get information about renting the gazebo on Walton Island?
13. How do I get information about reserving the bandshell at Wing Park?
14. How do I sign my child up for Little League?
15. Which number do I call for information regarding softball rainouts for the teams that play at the Elgin Sports Complex thru the Parks & Recreation department?
16. Who do I talk to regarding a tree that is on City property?
17. Who do I contact regarding getting a sound permit?