Halloween trick-or-treating hours are scheduled from 3-7 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 31.
To ensure a safe and happy Halloween, The Elgin Police Department offers the community these safety recommendations:
• Parents or another responsible adult should accompany young children.
• Children should be dressed in light-colored costumes.
• Costumes should not limit mobility and have no visible obstructions.
• One member of a trick-or-treating group should carry a flashlight.
• Trick-or-treaters should always walk on sidewalks and cross the street at intersections.
• Candy and goodies should be brought home and inspected by parents before being eaten.
• Extra caution should be used when inspecting treats.
Residents can signal to children that they are welcome to collect treats at their homes by keeping porch and exterior lights on during Halloween hours. Citizens are also asked to serve only wrapped candy.
Because safety is of the utmost importance, the Elgin Police Department will be out in force. Residents are reminded to close and lock car and garage doors and motorists are asked to be especially observant of trick-or-treaters.
The Elgin Police Department wishes everyone a safe and happy Halloween.