As part of Pace’s ongoing efforts to improve efficiency and reduce duplicative service, Route 544 Chicago Street, will be combined with Route 554 Elgin-Woodfield to increase regional connectivity, which is supported by the City of Elgin and other communities. Pace staff found that 92% of Route 544 riders are currently getting on and off the bus along the portions of Chicago Avenue that are overlapped by Route 554.
Beginning August 22, 2011, current Route 554 riders will see increased weekday service frequency, new Saturday service, and more trips between the Pace Elgin Transportation Center and the Pace Northwest Transportation Center in Schaumburg where passengers can take advantage of connecting routes that serve the north, northwest and west suburbs.
With the enhancements on Route 554, those currently using Route 544 will be able to reach many of the same destinations that they do now and more. Destinations along Route 554 include:
• Woodfield Mall• Elgin Metra Station (Milwaukee District West Line)
• Hanover Park Metra Station (Milwaukee District West Line)• Target
• Jewel Osco• St. Alexius Medical Center
• Pace Elgin Transportation Center• Streamwood Library
• Pace Northwest Transportation Center where connections can be made to services connecting to O’Hare Airport• Connections can also be made to Harper College, Forest Park and Randhurst Mall
On weekdays, Route 554 will run every 30 minutes in the morning and evening rush hours and every 65-75 minutes in the midday. Saturday service will run every 70 minutes during the day. Free local transfers are available in Elgin.
Please see the new Route 554 schedule, dated August 22, 2011, for detailed information. Schedules are available online at www.pacebus.com, onboard buses and by calling Pace Customer Relations at (847) 364-7223, option 3.