News Flash Home
The original item was published from 5/1/2020 12:42:00 PM to 5/1/2020 1:04:33 PM.

News Flash

Hemmens - Latest News

Posted on: March 17, 2020

[ARCHIVED] Closed To The Public

Stay Home, Save Lives

The City of Elgin will continue assessing the need to extend closures and cancellations during this rapidly changing environment.

Elgin Facility Closures and Programming Cancellations Extended

Elgin’s current facility closures and programming cancellations extended through at least May 30

Elgin, IL - Consistent with the Governor’s Stay at Home Order timeline, Elgin’s current facility closures and class, program and event cancellations are extended through at least May 30.


Facilities Closed to the Public

City Hall

The Edward Schock Centre of Elgin

Eastside Recreation Center 

Hawthorne Hill Nature Center  *Trails remain open from dawn until dusk

Elgin Sports Complex

Hemmens Cultural Center

Elgin Art Showcase

Elgin Police Department Lobby

Elgin’s 76 parks remain open, but playgrounds are closed. Residents can still walk, run, ride their bikes or walk their dogs. These activities cannot be done in groups. Rather, outdoor activity should be solo or with a household partner only. Remember to practice social distancing.

While facilities are closed, the City of Elgin is still open for business.

How can you pay your water bill?

Pay your water bill online at, over the phone (call 311) or place a check in the drop box outside the entrance to City Hall.

Water service will be maintained on delinquent accounts until further notice. Staff will continue issuing notices of delinquency, but late fees will be waived and payment plans arranged for those experiencing economic hardships during this time.

City service requests and information?

Call 311 or email Our citizen advocates are happy to assist you.

How can I get and pay for a permit?

Submit permits, submit plans, request inspections or ask any other questions related to the issuance or payment of a permit by emailing This email inbox will be monitored in real time by community development staff during regular business hours. Make sure to provide accurate contact information including your email address and phone number so staff can contact you. Be as descriptive as possible with your request to enhance staff’s ability to respond.

How can you pay your tickets or citations?

Municipal parking tickets, speeding tickets and code citations can also be paid online at 

How can you file a non-emergency police report?

Instead of having a police officer show up in person, you can report non-emergency police issues over the phone at 847-289-2700 or through the online reporting system. Reports for accidental damage to property, burglary to vehicle, harassing/annoying phone calls, theft, vandalism to vehicle, accidental damage to vehicle, gas stations drive-off, lost/mislaid property and vandalism can be submitted online at

See the City’s website for the most updated information: 

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Hemmens - Latest News

Hemmens Addition Groundbreaking July 26, 2023 at 5pm

Hemmens Addition Update!

Posted on: August 9, 2023
Hemmens Addition Groundbreaking July 26, 2023 at 5pm

Access During Construction

Posted on: January 4, 2024