It won't cost you a cent to finally get rid of all that clutter.
To ensure pickup residents are asked to follow these guidelines:
1. Trash - trash must be in plastic bags or cans no larger than 20 gallons in capacity and not to exceed 45 lbs. Items such as wood and carpet should be tied into secure bundles or rolls no larger than 2 ft. x 5 ft.
2. Yard Waste - must be bagged in paper yard waste bags or tied into secure bundles that weigh no more than 45 lbs and no larger than 2x5 ft
3. Bulk Items - televisions, furniture and the like should be placed out as is. Remove motor oil and gas from items such as grills and lawnmowers before placing them out for collection.
4. Appliances - a maximun of two major appliances, such as fridges, freezers, stoves, dishwashers and the like, will be collected per houshold without a sticker. For neighborhood safety please remove all doors from appliances.
5. Unacceptable Items - hazardous materials such as paint, pesticides, automotive batteries, gasoline, used oil and other materials will not be collected. Contact the City's Household Hazardous Waste Hotline 1-800-449-7587 to learn how to dispose of these items free of charge.
For more information please contact the City's website at www.cityofelgin.org or call the Elgin Public Works Department at 847-697-3160.