Real Estate Transfer Stamp


A Real Estate Transfer Stamp must be obtained prior to the conveyance of any property located within Elgin city limits.

The City of Elgin Finance Department should be contacted at least three to five days before a property closing takes place in order to complete the following requirements:

  • Conduct a property search for code violations, which must be acknowledged by the buyer. If the property has been vacant, an inspection by the City of Elgin Code Administration Department may be necessary prior to the issuance of the Real Estate Transfer Stamp.
  • Conduct a search of City records for outstanding debts owed to the City by the seller (including final water bill); All amounts due to the City must be paid prior to the issuance of a Real Estate Transfer Stamp.
  • Schedule a final water meter reading.
  • Submit a completed City of Elgin Real Estate Transfer Stamp Form by the seller, click the link for a fillable PDF.
  • Submit a photocopy of the State Real Estate Transfer Declaration Form and the deed by the seller.

The completed transfer stamp form and required documents must be completed by the Seller or Property Management Company. They can be emailed to


For additional information, please contact 311 by dialing 3-1-1 or 847-931-6001 if outside of city limits.