- You Are Here:
- Neighborhood Services
- Code Compliance
- Register a Code Complaint
Register A Code Complaint
To register a code complaint, residents can submit a complaint to the Code Compliance Division by calling 311 (847-931-6001 if outside of Elgin), by email, or by submitting a request on the Elgin 311 mobile app.
Residents are asked to leave accurate contact information so a member of Elgin's Code Compliance staff may follow up for more information.
How Complaints are Handled
- Once a complaint is received it is issued a case number and given to the Code Compliance Officer.
- The Code Compliance Officer will conduct an inspection of the property to verify the violation.
- If the Code Compliance Officer finds violations, a notice with a date for compliance will be issued.
- The Code Compliance Officer will conduct a follow-up inspection to determine compliance.
- If the inspector has determined that compliance has been obtained, the case will be closed.
- If the violation is not corrected, the Code Compliance Officer may issue citations each day the violations continues until compliance. These citations can range from $50 to $750 per occurrence.
- Repeat violations (defined as the same type of violation within a 24 month period) are subject to an immediate citation.
View the procedures for the following violations:
What if I Receive a Code Violation Notice?
If you have received a notice from a Code Compliance Officer stating that your home or property is violating a city code, review the code enforcement process to determine your options for correcting those code violations.
Code violations will be issued a notice describing the offense and a reasonable compliance date depending on the violation(s).
If you need more time to make the necessary repairs to your home or property, fill out a time extension request form and return it to your Code Compliance Officer.
If you choose not to pay your citation you can contest it by appearing at the City's Administrative Adjudication hearing. The date of your hearing is located at the bottom of your citation. Failure to pay or contest your citation by that date will result in you being found liable for the amount listed.