Dementia Friendly Elgin
Dementia Friendly Elgin
Are you a caregiver? Do you need help?
What does it mean to be Dementia Friendly?
Elgin’s Dementia Friendly Movement
Communities from coast to coast are joining the Dementia Friendly America movement. Dementia Friendly America strives to create communities where all people can live, age and thrive.
Dementia Friendly Elgin Friends
We formed this committee for YOU. We have provided resources for you and your family members. We are not a medical association. We encourage you or your loved one to visit a medical professional, and obtain a thorough examination and diagnosis.
As a dementia friendly community, we are dedicated to strengthening and supporting those with cognitive changes and their care partners by raising awareness, reducing societal stigma, providing education, and communicating best practices.
We strive to improve the lives, welfare, and dignity for those with cognitive changes, while maintaining the greatest level of compassion, expertise, and integrity.
Programs for Caregivers
- StressBusting for Caregivers
- Alzheimer’s Association Programming at Gail Borden Public Library
- Elgin Memory Café/Café de los Recuerdos:
- In Person, 2nd Tuesday of each month, 4:00-5:30 p.m., South Elgin Village Squire
- Virtually, 4th Tuesday of each month, 10:00-11:00 a.m., Zoom
Programs for those living with Dementia
Programs for Spanish Speakers
- Café de los Recuerdos
Business Trainings Events and Photos
- How can your business or organization become certified as Dementia Friendly?
- Businesses that have completed training:
- Gail Borden Public Library District
- KCT Bank
- South Elgin Village Hall
- Elgin Senior Services Associates, Inc.
- Elgin Fire Department
Other Information and Resources
- TRIAD (Law Enforcement/Seniors/Businesses & Organizations): 847-741-2045
- Elgin Senior Services Associates, Inc.: 847-741-0404
- Gail Borden Public Library District: 847-742-2411
On July 5, 2019, Elgin became the 5th city in Illinois to earn the Dementia Friendly designation from Dementia Friendly America. We held ribbon cuttings celebrating the Elgin Memory Café and Café de los Recuerdos. We provided 355 library programs in 365 days serving senior living communities, developmental communities and individuals living at home with care partners. We also created a Resource Guide for YOU that reaches our community through first responders, healthcare providers, the Gail Borden Public Library and Elgin Senior Services Associates, Inc.
We are here for you, even during the pandemic.
Dementia Friendly Elgin Advisory Council
Glenna Godinsky, Gail Borden Library - firstname.lastname@example.org - 847-289-5848
Angela Bouque, Gail borden Library - email@example.com - 847-931-2093
Cherie Aschenbrenner, City of Elgin - firstname.lastname@example.org - 847-289-2626
Lt. Matt Kenneally, Elgin Fire Dept. - Kenneally_m@cityofelgin.org
Mary Beth Riedner, Elgin Resident - email@example.com
Jerry Cowsert, Elgin Resident - firstname.lastname@example.org
Valerie Reh, Hampshire Resident - email@example.com
Dr. Susan Wesner, Elgin Resident - firstname.lastname@example.org
Vicki Montgomery, South Elgin Resident - email@example.com
Follow us on Facebook!