Financial Assistance + Other Resources

Press here to read this information in Spanish Opens in new windowThe uncertainty around the COVID-19 pandemic has created financial instability for many. Here are some financial assistance programs and other helpful resources in the community for those seeking to manage payments and provide for themselves and their families during this uncertain time. The City of Elgin will continue working with its community partners to keep this list up to date.

Last updated December 29, 2022

Water Bill Assistance 

Community Contacts, Inc

  • Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP). Eligible income-qualified households may obtain utility bill assistance through their Local Administering Agencies.
  • Address: 100 South Hawthorne St. Elgin, IL 60123
  • Phone Number: 847-697-4400

Community and Economic Development Association of Cook County (CEDA)

  • Utility bill assistance
  • Hanover Township (Serving Streamwood, Hoffman Estates, Elgin, Bartlett, Hanover Park, Schaumburg)                      
  • Phone Number: 630-540-9085  

Salvation Army

  • Utility bill assistance
  • How to apply: Calling the office at 847-741-2304 ext. 302 and making an appointment. Some documentation is required, including photo ID, proof of income, proof of emergency, and either a utility bill or two forms that the landlord must fill out. 

Water Bill Payment Plans

Payment plans are available for residents with delinquent water bills. Payments can be made over a period of up to 6 months. To remain on the payment plan, you must remain current with installment payments and current charges on all future water bills. Failure to make payments on time will result in a default of the payment agreement and the account will be subject to immediate disconnection. To set up a payment plan, dial 311 or if located outside of Elgin call 847-931-6001.

Other Financial Assistance Programs

Emergency Rental Assistance

Behind on Rent due to Covid-19? The Rental Assistance Program Application is Now Open.

The Rental Assistance Program is here to help keep families stably housed, and ensure that tenants and Housing Providers/Landlords are financially secure to prevent a tide of evictions due to COVID-19.

If you are a renter whose primary residence is in Illinois and are behind on rent due to economic hardship caused by COVID-19, you may be eligible for up to 15 months of rental payments to cover back-rent owed. For additional information please visit Aid is available statewide. 


  • Illinois residents who are renters and have a household income at or below 80% AMI
  • Household must have experienced a financial hardship directly, or indirectly, due to the pandemic
  • Household is behind on rent and/or is at risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability
  • Proof of citizenship is not required

Illinois Housing Development Authority: Illinois Rental Payment Program & Illinois Homeowner Assistance Fund (ILHAF)

Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 4.34.15 PM Opens in new window

Emergency Mortgage Assistance

Behind on your mortgage due to Covid-19? The Emergency Mortgage Assistance Program Application is Now Open.

Apply for up to $60,000 in emergency mortgage assistance paid directly to your mortgage servicer. 

Eligibility Requirements.

  • The homeowner must have experienced a COVID-19 related hardship after January 21, 2020. 
  • The homeowner must be delinquent on mortgage, property taxes, and/or condo association fees.
  • The homeowner must currently own and occupy the property as their primary residence.
  • Proof of citizenship is not required. Homeownership assistance is not a "public-charge" benefit. 
  • For up to date information and an application click here

Housing Flyer  - EnglishEviction Resources

Prairie State Legal Services is a law firm that provides free civil legal aid to people who cannot afford an attorney in northern and central Illinois, and their West Suburban office serves DuPage, Kane, Kendall, and DeKalb Counties. 

Prairie State has several housing-related resources available to help you understand your legal rights when facing eviction during Covid-19.

  • Visit for Covid-19 Eviction resources, including an eviction toolkit, a Renters’ Handbook, and other resources. 
  • For up to date information on evictions during Covid-19, click here.
  • Eviction Help Illinois Hotline - Prairie State Legal Services is a member of Eviction Help Illinois, a state-wide network of 16 non-profit organizations providing legal aid, mediation services, and connection to other resources. Tenants can call 855-631-0811 Monday-Friday from 9am-4pm for free legal help.

Township General and Emergency Assistance Programs 

Contact your corresponding township for more information on their general and emergency assistance programs. These programs are designed to provide financial assistance for basic needs like rent/mortgage, utilities, and food. 

Elgin Township

  • Address: 729 S. McLean Blvd Suite 200 Elgin, IL 60123
  • Phone Number: 847-741-2045

Hanover Township (for Elgin residents in Cook county)

  • Address: 7431 Astor Ave, Hanover Park, IL 60133                      
  • Phone Number: 630-540-9085

Dundee Township

  • Address: 611 E. Main Street, East Dundee, Illinois 60118         
  • Phone Number: 847-428-8092

Ecker Center for Behavioral Health

Applications continue to be open for Emergency Rental Assistance through the Ecker Center for Behavioral Health.  Funds are available through June 30, 2021 for rental (not mortgage) and utilities assistance.  

Eligible applicants must have documentation demonstrating the following:  

  • household is experiencing a COVID-19 related hardship
  • household income is less than 80% area median income
  • household is at risk of homelessness or housing instability

Applications are available for pick-up Monday-Friday 9am-5pm at 1845 Grandstand Place, Elgin. Funds will be distributed on a first come first serve basis until depleted. Recipients must participate in case management services around the use of the funds.

Additional Financial Assistance Programs in the Community

Agency: St. Vincent de Paul (on East and West sides of Elgin)

  • Type of Assistance: Financial assistance for rent, utilities, and anything else that is a necessity.
  • How to apply: Call, leave a name, phone number, address, and what the need is. A volunteer will contact them within 24 hours. People on the east side of the Fox River should call 847-289-2222. People on the west side of the river should call 847-628-5170. 

Agency: Salvation Army

  • Type of Assistance: Emergency Financial Assistance Program. Help with rent and utility bills. 
  • How to apply: Calling the office at 847-741-2304 ext. 302 and making an appointment. Some documentation is required, including photo ID, proof of income, proof of emergency, and either a utility bill or two forms that the landlord must fill out. 

Agency: Community Crisis Center, Inc. (CCC)

  • Type of Assistance: Shelter (first come, first serve) and rental assistance (first come, first serve)
  • How to apply: Contact CCC by calling the hotline at 847-697-2380 to see if you can be placed on a waiting list.

Agency: Two Rivers Head Start

  • Type of Assistance: Rental and Utility
  • How to apply: Call 847-717-6048 to apply. Applicants must reside in Kane County and meet income guidelines. Call for more information.

ComEd Assistance

Staying Safe and Keeping the Lights On

As the economy reopens, ComEd understands some of you may continue to experience financial hardship. ComEd can help find a financial assistance solution that’s right for you. Find details on the programs available at or by calling 1-800-EDISON1 (1-800-334-7661).  

Nicor Gas Assistance

As the impacts of the coronavirus (COVID-19) continue to unfold, Nicor Gas is assessing the needs of its customers and communities to make sure they are providing all the support possible. If you are facing financial hardship due to COVID-19, Nicor Gas can help by connecting you to energy assistance, offering extended payment options, and providing energy-saving measures.

Click here to find details on the programs listed below.

  • LIHEAP Energy Assistance Funding (CARES Act)
  • Extended Payment Arrangements
  • Energy Aide Programs
  • Energy Assistance Resources
  • Free Weatherization

Kane County 211 Logo

Kane County 2-1-1

Kane County residents can dial 2-1-1 and get connected with a live specialist who will assist them with finding a utility assistance program. 2-1-1 is an anonymous place to start with a specialist on hand to help sort out the options. Support is available 24/7 and no computer or Internet is required. Translation is available in more than 150 languages and callers of all ages can use the service as often as needed.