Financial Assistance + Other Resources
The uncertainty around the COVID-19 pandemic has created financial instability for many. Here are some financial assistance programs and other helpful resources in the community for those seeking to manage payments and provide for themselves and their families during this uncertain time. The City of Elgin will continue working with its community partners to keep this list up to date.
Last updated January 2021
Help for Illinois Families: Relief for Households Across the State
The Pritzker Administration, in partnership with the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO), has launched a new initiative to help Illinois families access and afford home energy assistance and other essential services during COVID-19. Building on the State’s Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) and the Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) program, the State’s Fiscal Year 2021 (FY 21) budget authorizes an expansion of the LIHEAP and CSBG programs for eligible Illinoisans seeking emergency assistance to cover costs of utility bills, rent, temporary shelter, food, and other household necessities.
Effective immediately, the Help Illinois Families initiative is implementing an online form to make it easier and faster for individuals and families to remotely request assistance through the LIHEAP and/or CSBG programs. Funding may be limited in some areas of the state and completion of the form linked below is not a guarantee of funding.
Filling out the form below is the first step in a process that will be completed by local agencies throughout the state. Increased eligibility thresholds for FY21 aim to assist additional households needing support due to challenges exacerbated by COVID-19.
This initiative remains available for all qualifying households with low income, regardless of how they may be affected COVID-19. Eligible families may qualify for hundreds of dollars of support; all applications will be reviewed on a first come, first served basis and subject to funding availability.
You may be eligible to receive financial assistance for the following services:
Find more information and apply today at helpforillinoisfamilies.com.
Kane County Office of Community Reinvestment Homeless Prevention Program (HPP)
The Kane County Office of Community Reinvestment Homeless Prevention Program (HPP) is now accepting candidates from the following zip codes: 60120, 60123, 60505, 60506. The program will assist households with:
- Security Deposits
- Assistance for rent
The HPP can offer up to six months of assistance for households with an arrearage. Click here for more information and to apply.
Township General and Emergency Assistance Programs
- Address: 729 S. McLean Blvd Suite 200 Elgin, IL 60123
- Phone Number: 847-741-2045
- Address: 7431 Astor Ave, Hanover Park, IL 60133
- Phone Number: 630-540-9085
- Address: 611 E. Main Street, East Dundee, Illinois 60118
- Phone Number: 847-428-8092
Other Assistance Programs
Agency: St. Vincent de Paul (on East and West sides of Elgin)
- Type of Assistance: Financial assistance for rent, utilities, and pretty much anything else that is a necessity.
- How to apply: Call, leave a name, phone number, address, and what the need is. A volunteer will contact them within 24 hours. People on the east side of the Fox River should call 847-289-2222. People on the west side of the river should call 847-628-5170.
- Type of Assistance: Direct Cash Assistance
- How to apply: Application process with intake staff. Call 847-742-7930 for more information.
Agency: Salvation Army
- Type of Assistance: Emergency Financial Assistance Program. Help with rent and utility bills.
- How to apply: Calling the office at 847-741-2304 ext. 302 and making an appointment. Some documentation is required, including photo ID, proof of income, proof of emergency, and either a utility bill or two forms that the landlord must fill out.
Agency: Centro de Informacion
- Type of Assistance: Rental, Utility, etc.
- How to apply: call 847-695-9050 to make an appointment and apply.
Agency: Community Crisis Center, Inc. (CCC)
- Type of Assistance: Shelter and rent
- How to apply: Contact CCC by calling the hotline at 847-697-2380 to see if you can be placed on a waiting list
Agency: Family Focus
- Types of Assistance: Housing or utility payments, Health Navigator trainings and certification, and employment and training services
- How to apply: View program details, eligibility and application information here.
Staying Safe and Keeping the Lights On
As the economy reopens, ComEd understands some of you may continue to experience financial hardship. ComEd can help find a financial assistance solution that’s right for you. Find details on the programs below at comed.com/support or by calling 1-800-EDISON1 (1-800-334-7661).
- ComEd CARE Customer Hardship Grants: Residential customers facing financial hardship may be eligible to receive one-time CARE grants from ComEd to help them get back on their feet.
- ComEd Bill Payment Assistance Program: A one-time bill assistance credit of up to $500 is available this year for income-eligible households with a past-due balance. Learn more about eligibility requirements and how to apply at ComEd.com/BillAssistance.
- Flexible, Extended Payment Arrangements: For a limited time, residential customers may be eligible for a flexible payment arrangement with a down payment on the past-due amount and the accumulated balance spread over up to 18 months. Those facing financial hardship and income-eligible households may be eligible for a flexible payment arrangement that spreads past-due balances over a period of up to 24 months with no down payment.
Nicor Gas Assistance
As the impacts of the coronavirus (COVID-19) continue to unfold, Nicor Gas is assessing the needs of its customers and communities to make sure they are providing all the support possible. If you are facing financial hardship due to COVID-19, Nicor Gas can help by connecting you to energy assistance, offering extended payment options, and providing energy-saving measures.
- LIHEAP Energy Assistance Funding (CARES Act)
- Extended Payment Arrangements
- Energy Aide Programs
- Energy Assistance Resources
- Free Weatherization