Budget and Financial Information
Let’s talk about the budget
Read the 2020 Adopted Budget and Financial Plan to learn about how the City builds the budget, how the budget benefits tax payers, where your tax dollars go, and more. The 2020 budget works to align investments with the priorities Elgin residents identified in the community survey, as well as the City’s 2018-2022 Strategic Principles and Priorities.
We update this page regularly, so check in often, learn about the budget and help us see what’s important to you!
We want to hear from you!
"Budget On-the-Go" Schedule
“Budget On-the-Go” is series of informal meetings where you can hear from City staff, tell us what’s important to you and ask questions about how Elgin invests its money each year. Dates will be posted later in the year.
Join the Discussion
- 11/7/19 - Elgin Courier-News - "Four Elgin festivals, including Art and Soul and the Fox Trot 10K, may be on chopping block to make way for new events"
- 11/7/19 - Elgin Courier-News - "No tax hike in proposed 2020 Elgin budget but property owners will pay 6% more for water, 2% more for sewer services"
- 11/8/19 - Daily Herald - "Elgin considering ending some annual events, adding others"
- 11/8/19 - Kane County Connects - "Elgin 'Budget On-the-Go' gives citizens a say in how tax dollars are spent"
- 11/8/19 - Elgin Courier-News - "Elgin launches program to help residents understand how the city budget works and where their money is going"
- 11/14/19 - Elgin Courier-News - "Elgin could impose recreation tax without voter OK as a way to cover parks budget shortfall"
- 11/14/19 - Daily Herald - "Elgin's proposed budget: No property tax levy increase, more city jobs"
- 11/15/19 - Daily Herald - "Elgin has 17% drop in serious crime this year so far"
- 11/16/19 - Elgin Courier-News - "Elgin police seek to hire new 911 operators, auxiliary officers"
- 11/19/2019 - Elgin Courier-News - "Efforts to overhaul Elgin finances are paying off: revenue is up, expenses down and property taxes flat, officials say"
- 11/21/2019 - Daily Herald - "Elgin water, sewer bill increase will average $32 a year"
- 11/29/2019 - Elgin Courier-News - "McDaniel-Hale: Elgin considers adding 911 operators, auxiliary police officers"
- 12/10/2019 - Elgin Courier-News - "Elgin to earmark $40K in 2020 budget to launch new grant program for residents with flooding problems"
- 12/19/2019 - Daily Herald - "Elgin OKs budget, which includes return of Civic Center Plaza ice rink"