The Engineering Division of Public Works reviews private development projects with respect to public improvements, stormwater management, and public safety issues to verify compliance with the Elgin Municipal Code as well as sound engineering / construction practices. There are two basic development types:
- Subdivisions: A development containing more than one buildable parcel.
- Sites: A development on one buildable parcel.
Stormwater Management Practices & Regulations
This ordinance establishes specific stormwater management practices for new development within the City of Elgin. These regulations are designed to:
- Protect the health and safety of the public
- Preserve and enhance the natural functions of watercourses wetlands and flood plains
- Provide aesthetic benefits to the community
- Improve water quality
Engineering Plan Review Fees
Each type of development is subject to review fees. Site plan review fees are based on specific quantities of site improvements.
Stormwater Management Review Fees
Due to the complexity of the stormwater ordinance, the city often hires consultants to aid in the review, permitting, and implementation of a development’s stormwater management report. To accommodate these services, a developer is required to establish and maintain an escrow account with 2% of the engineer’s estimate of costs.