When floodwater levels have dropped, it is time to begin the recovery process. Below is what one can do to begin the restoration process:
- Contact the insurance agent to file a claim, if necessary.
- Before re-entering the home, check for structural damage to avoid being trapped in a building collapse.
- Take photos of floodwater in the home and save damaged property.
- Make a list of damaged or lost items; include their date of purchase and value.
- Keep power off until an electrician has inspected the system.
- Boil water for drinking and food preparation until the authorities advise that the water is safe.
- Prevent molding by removing wet contents immediately.
- Wear gloves and boots to clean and disinfect. Wet items should be cleaned with a pine-oil cleanser and bleach, completely dried and monitored for several days for fungal growth or odors.