Are you traveling over the holidays or for an extended period of time? Remember, you can call the Community Relations / Crime Prevention Division at 847-289-2530 and provide them with your address and the dates you will be gone so that your beat officers are aware and can provide extra surveillance. Some helpful additional tips are listed below:
Make sure your home is protected while you are not there. Plan to make it look like you never left; keep the appearance that someone is home.
- Tell your trusted neighbors you plan to be away so they can keep an eye out for any suspicious activity. Make sure someone has a way to get in contact with you in case of an emergency.
- If possible, have someone go inside to check on your home, bring in deliveries, turn interior and exterior lights on or off, etc.
- Don’t leave a key hidden outside; burglars tend to be able to find “emergency” keys.
- Keep shades and blinds in their normal positions.
- Stop mail and newspapers, or ask a neighbor to pick them up each day.
- Put several household lights on timers so they turn on and off at appropriate times. Consider putting a TV or radio on timers as well.
- If you are going to be gone during the winter, arrange to have your driveway / sidewalks shoveled.
- Lock all your doors and windows, including the garage interior door to the house.
- Ask a neighbor to park in your driveway or to make tracks in the snow in your driveway.
- Don’t publicize your vacation plans; consider loading your luggage into your vehicle inside the garage so people do not see your departure. Do not post your vacation plans on Facebook or other social media platforms. If you intend to post pictures, post them when you return.