Solicitor Permit


"Peddler" means any person who goes from place to place, not having been invited by the owner or occupant, carrying or transporting goods, wares, merchandise or personal property of any nature and offering the same for sale. 

"Solicitor" means any person going from place to place, not having been invited by the owner or the occupant, for the purpose of taking or attempting to take orders for the sale of goods, merchandise, wares, or other personal property of any nature for future delivery, or for services to be performed in the future. The term "solicitor" also includes any person who goes upon property, not having been invited by the owner or occupant thereof, to request contribution of funds or anything of value, or sell goods or services for political, charitable, religious or other noncommercial purposes.

View Chapter 6.45 of the city's code on Peddlers and Solicitors to become familiar with definitions, requirements and restrictions. 

Solicitation Permit

An Application for Solicitation Permit is required before any solicitation activity can take place. Incomplete applications will not be accepted or processed. 

The Application for Solicitation Permit may be printed out, completed and brought to City Hall. The application process is in person at City Hall Finance Department. Please allow 7 days for processing of the application.


  • Photo ID with proof of age and address
  • $30.00 non-refundable application fee and a $16 background check fee - expires after 90 days.

Handbill Distribution

Handbill means any printed or written matter, leaflet, pamphlet, paper, booklet, card, circular or any other printed matter or literature which is not mail delivered by the United States Postal Service.

A permit is not required to distribute handbills. Please read the handbill section of the municipal code to become familiar with definitions, restrictions around distribution of handbills on private and/or public property and distribution of handbills on vehicles. 

For Residents

A reminder that all solicitors:

  • Must be issued a permit by the City before soliciting.
  • Are only permitted between the hours of nine (9) AM and eight (8) PM, Monday through Saturday.
  • Should wear an identification badge in a way that's clearly visible at all times while soliciting.
  • Should exhibit their solicitor permit when requested to do so by any prospective customer or City employee.
  • Should peacefully depart homes who exhibit a “NO SOLICITORS OR PEDDLERS INVITED” notice near their main entrance.

No Solicitor and No Handbills Signs

Signs are recommended for those who would prefer no solicitation at their homes. Signs can be purchased at most local hardware stores.

If you would prefer no handbills be left at your property, post a weather proof card, at least 3 inches by 4 inches in size that says, "No Handbills" or "No Handbills or Advertising." 

Reporting Violations

Solicitors that are "aggressive" in their approach, or violate the permit rules and regulations should be reported to the Elgin Police (847-289-2700) when the act is occurring. For all other complaints regarding solicitors, residents can contact 311. Solicitors who violate rules and regulations can also be reported to the Better Business Bureau (312-832-0500). 

  1. 311 Contact Center

    Phone: 311 or 847-931-6001 if out of city limits