Loading



416 E. Chicago
Moses H. Thompson House, 1870
 416 E. Chicago Moses H. Thompson House
Photo Courtesy of the Gifford Park Association
Background
This home is a simple italianate, well-preserved, and painstakingly restored in the 1990s. It has an original bay, clapboard siding, window hoods, and greek revival entrance. The first owner, a civil engineer and president of the Elgin National Bank, was also secretary and treasurer of the Elgin Gas, Light and Coke Co. Thus, this house was the first in Elgin to be lit with gas.

Archibald-McNeil House
Next door at 434 E. Chicago is the Archibald-McNeil house, built in 1880. Aluminum siding had this house looking like a plain white box since the 1950s, but it was completely transformed to its dramatic original look in 1996. This included replacement of the front porch and other italianate details, and a multi-color paint job.

Gifford Park Association
If you would like additional information about this or other historic homes in the Elgin Historic District, please contact the Gifford Park Association;
P.O. Box 928
Elgin, IL 60121

 Previous  Next