Loading



302 1/2 Fulton Street
Overview
 image002.jpg
The original one story part of this house dates from the 1850's. According to Elgin Area Landmark's by E.C. Alft, this little cobblestone was the home of Ithiel C. Towner (1831-1906), a blacksmith who arrived in 1851. He left for California in 1860, crossing the plains and mountains in a covered wagon. Later, he returned to Elgin and became a manufacturer of carriages, buggies, wagons and sleighs.

Restoration
Mortar and paint have obliterated much of the original appearance to the house. The victorian frame portion was added in 1886 by Edward Mann, a laborer. Currently the house is undergoing restoration.
 
Map  Start Over