Loading



Landmarks
Local Elgin Landmarks
Locations that have been Designated under Title 20 of the Elgin Municipal Code.

The Alexander & Margaret McTavish House
650 Park Street

Constructed in 1922, the colonial revival style home was originally owned by Alexander McTavish, a local carpenter and contractor for Steven Smith who built many of the homes in the Lord’s Park Neighborhood. The Alexander and Margaret McTavish House was designated a local historic landmark in April, 2003.

The Charles & Louisa Bushe Home
616 Park Street

Designed by two of Elgin’s notable architects, Gilbert M. Turnbull and David E. Postle, the queen anne free classic style home was constructed in 1892 by local builder Charles Giertz. The Charles and Louisa Busche Home was designated a local historic landmark April 2003.

Elgin National Watch Company Observatory
312 Watch Street

Built in 1910, the observatory's purpose was to record and transmit precise time from the movement of the stars to the Elgin National Watch Factory. The building was deeded from this company to the city in 1960.

The Elgin Tower Building
100 East Chicago Street

Completed in 1929 by the St. Louis Bank Building and Equipment Company, this 15-story, 186 foot art deco building was designed to house Home National Bank and Home Trust and Savings Bank. Gray granite and Bedford Indiana limestone are used on the exterior surfaces. The Elgin Tower Building was designated a local historic landmark August 1998.

Fire Barn No. 3
820 Dundee Avenue

Built for horse-drawn apparatus in 1896, this fire barn was also designed by Smith Hoag.

Fire Barn No. 5
533 St. Charles Street
Commissioned in 1904, Elgin's last fire barn was designed by Smith Hoag in the classical revival style. The first floor housed the horses and fire fighting equipment while the second floor housed the firefighters. The building was decommissioned in 1991 and is presently used as a museum.

The Kemler House
703 Raymond Street
Constructed in 1889, this queen anne style house was built for Paul Kemler, manager of the Washington House Hotel. The builder was Joseph Pavey and the mason was Jacob Lind, both prominent craftsmen. The Paul Kemler House was designated a local historic landmark January 2009

The Lamming House
324 Franklin Street
Constructed in 1855, this early italianate style house was built by William Lamming, a local mason, who became the city’s first building inspector. The William Lamming House was designated a local historic landmark July 2008.

The Larkin Center
1212 Larkin Avenue
Designed by Elgin architect, George Morris, the Ccolonial revival style building, originally known as the “Larkin Home for Children” was constructed in 1911. It is named in memory of Sarah A. Larkin, mother of Cyrus Larkin, a local politician and farmer, who first donated property to start the home. The property was designated as a local historic landmark April 2004.

Lord Memorial Museum
225 Grand Boulevard

Designed by D. E. Postle in the neo-classical style, the museum was built in 1907. The museum is located in Lord's Park and was the final gift of George P. and Mary E. Lord to the people of Elgin.

Lord's Park Pavilion
100 Oakwood Boulevard
Dedicated in 1898, this frame park pavilion was constructed as a focal point for Lord's Park on the eastern edge of the city. The park was a gift from George P. and Mary E. Lord to provide outdoor enjoyment and recreation for the residents of Elgin. The building has been rehabilitated and well maintained by the city. 

The Lovell House
600 Margaret Place

Constructed in 1886 by local builder Henry Jensen, the stick style home with eastlake characteristics was originally owned by Vincent Smith Lovell, former mayor of Elgin from 1887 to 1889. The Lovell House was designated a local historic landmark December 2001. 

The McClure Mansion
770 West Highland Avenue
Built by Martin Bullard, a local carpenter and builder, the shingle style home was constructed in 1891 for Finla Lawrence McClure and later altered by noted Elgin architect, W. Wright Abell in 1901 for Willis L. Black. The McClure Mansion was designated a local historic landmark January 2005. 

The Ora Pelton Residence
214 South State Street

Designed and constructed in 1889 by local architect Gilbert M. Turnbull, this stick style home with eastlake detailing was commissioned by Dr. Ora L. Pelton, Sr., a highly esteemed physician in both Elgin and Kane County. The house was designated a local historic landmark September 1998.

The Professional Building
164 Division Street

Completed in 1928, this gothic style building was designed as offices for doctors, lawyers, insurance agencies, and dentists. The eighth floor was originally occupied by the Union League Club, which maintained a luxurious dining facility and huge fireplace. The Professional Building was designated a local historic landmark August 1998.

Teeple Barn
1707 North Randall Road

Completed in 1885, this massive balloon-framed barn was designed for dairy farmer Lester Teeple by Elgin architect W.W. Abell. The only 16-sided barn recorded in Illinois, it was designated an Elgin historic landmark in May, 1998. Demolished by a wind storm in May of 2007.

The Thomas P. & Emma Matters Estate
636 Park Street

Constructed in 1903, the queen anne free classic style home was originally owned by Thomas P. Matters, the proprietor of the Matters Tubular Well Company. The Thomas P. and Emma Matters Estate was designated a local historic landmark April 2003.

The Traub House
625 Lillie Street

Constructed ca. 1892, the colonial revival style house was originally built for Fred Traub, a local businessman credited with opening the first bakery in Elgin at 61 Douglas Avenue in 1889, and a second one at 8 North State Street. The Traub house was designated a local historic landmark May 2005.

The Wilcox House
327 W Chicago Street

Constructed in 1892, this queen anne style house was designed by W.W. Abell, a local prominent architect for Silvanus Wilcox, a coal merchant and real estate developer. The Silvanus Wilcox House was designated a local historic landmark March 2009.

Wing Park Golf Course
1000 Wing Street
Designed in 1908 by Thomas Bendelow, the Johnny Appleseed of American Golf Course design, Wing Park Golf Course is the oldest operating public golf course in the State of Illinois. Wing Park Golf Course was designated a local historic landmark May 2008.