Registering a Complaint
Register a Code Complaint
To register a code complaint, residents can submit a complaint to the Code Compliance Division by calling (847) 931-5920 or 311, by email, or by submitting a complaint form to city hall,

Community Development Department
150 Dexter Court
Elgin, IL 60120

Anonymous Complaints
Residents are asked to leave contact information so a member of Elgin's Code Compliance Division may contact them for more information.

How Complaints are Handled
The Code Compliance Division has developed General Operating Procedures for responding to complaints.

What if I Receive a Code Violation Notice?
If you have received a notice from a Code Compliance Officer stating that your home or property is violating a city code, review the code enforcement process to determine your options for correcting those code violations.

Code violations will be issued a notice describing the offense and a reasonable compliance date depending on the violation(s).

Time Extension
If you need more time to make the necessary repairs to your home, fill out a time extension request form and return it to your Code Compliance Officer. Citations may be contested by mail or in court.

Additional Information