Commercial and Residential Permits
While most minor repairs do not require a building permit, many projects may only be performed after securing a permit from Community Development. All work will then be inspected to ensure compliance with the City's building codes.

Owner-occupants of single family residences may do most of their own work; however, electrical service upgrades must be done by a licensed electrician. Commercial, industrial, and multi-family construction projects generally require licensed and bonded contracts.

You can find out if your project requires a building permit by contacting Community Development at (847) 931-5920. For fee information, view the Building Permit Fee Schedule.

Letter of Intent
Effective April 1, 2011 the City of Elgin will require a letter of intent from all licensed contractors. The letter of intents must be stamped with a company seal, or sealed by a notary public on company letter head. General Contractors will be required to submit a letter of intent for each of his licensed sub-contractors. The City of Elgin will not be able to issue any permits until letter of intents have been received.

Completed applications can be submitted via mail or in person, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at:
Community Development
150 Dexter Ct.
Elgin, IL 60120

Planning & Zoning Counter Hours (Planners available for items requiring planner review and approval)
Monday - Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.