Go To Search

How Do I
 ComEd Mobile Phone Outage Alerts
ComEd has a notification system in place that allows customers to subscribe to power outage alerts via mobile phones.  Further information is available by clicking here
 Emerald Ash Borer
 Please click here to learn more about the Emerald Ash Borer. 
 How do I report graffiti, and how long does it take to be removed?  Graffiti Removal
 Refuse and Recycling
How are bundles of branches collected?
Branch bundles are collected weekly April 1 – November 30 on your scheduled pick-up day. Stickers are not required for bundled brush. All brush must be tied into bundles with biodegradable twine or string in piles not exceeding five feet in length, two feet in diameter and 45 pounds. Branches thicker than 2 inches in diameter will not be collected.  Yard Waste
How do I order new containers / toters?
Please contact Waste Management at 800-796-9696 or visit their website.  Waste Management
What happens with holidays?
Collections normally falling on the holidays listed will be rescheduled the first working day following the holiday or on Saturday: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day.
What time can I put my items out for pickup?
Refuse and recycling materials must be placed out for collection by 6:00 a.m. the day of your scheduled collection, but not before 5:00 p.m. the day before your pickup. All containers and any materials that were not collected must be removed from the curb by midnight after your scheduled collection.
Where do I buy stickers?
Purple stickers are required to dispose of refuse in excess of the 64 gallon toter and bulky items. Also for yard waste from May 1st thru Sept. 30th. The cost of each sticker is $2.42. To view a list of sticker vendors, click on the link provided.  Sticker Information
How do I report a backup?
Homeowners are responsible for the sewer line from the house out to the sewer main in the street. Public Works crews can inspect the main sewer line - please call 311 (or 847-931-6001).
What information is there about a reimbursement program?
For information on the city's Sewer Lateral Reimbursement Program, please call 311 (or 847-931-6001) before work is started.
How do I report a problem that is causing tripping?
Please call 311 (or 847-931-6001).  Private sidewalks are the property owner's responsibility
Can I park in the street if it snows?
Designated snow routes are marked with No Parking - Snow Route signs.
What do I do if my mailbox is damaged by a snow plow?
Please call 311 (or 847-931-6001) to report mailbox damage.
 Street Lights
How do I report an outage?
If the light is on a metal pole, please call 311 (or 847-931-6001). If the burned out light is on a wooden pole, please contact ComEd at 800-334-7661.  For ComEd, you may also file an online request, click here for more information.
 Tree Plantings on Tree Banks
Can I plant a tree on a tree bank?
To plant a tree yourself, please complete and return the Tree Planting Permit Application. There is no fee for this permit. After you evaluate your planting site, please select the species you want to plant from Elgin's Recommended Species List. City staff will contact you to discuss the project and help you plant the right tree in the right place. If you have any questions or concerns, please call 311 (or 847-931-6001) or email .
Who waters trees on the tree bank?
All trees planted by the city will be fully mulched and watered at the time of installation. As the recipient of a new tree, you are encouraged to water and provide easy, basic care for the tree for several years after it is planted. If you can, water the tree weekly with about 10 to 15 gallons of water that is applied slowly with a hose or buckets. Watering can be skipped if more than 1 inch of rain falls during the week. (Follow this guideline for three years after the tree has been planted.)
What should I do if my water is discolored?
Please call 311 (or 847-931-6001).
What do I do if my water pressure is low?
Please call 311 (or 847-931-6001).