Solar Landing Page
Solar in Elgin
The City of Elgin is currently participating in the SolSmart program funded by the U.S. Department of Energy SunShot Initiative, which helps local governments reduce barriers to solar energy growth and make it easier for homes and businesses to go solar.
Rooftop Solar Permit Process
Before you install solar panels on your home, please read about the City of Elgin's solar permitting process and the necessary steps you must take to ensure your compliance with city code. To learn more about the residential rooftop solar permitting process, please click here.
NOTE: Commercial Solar permit fee - $70/1000 sf of solar panels plus $75 plan review fee
The Great Plains Institute conducted a review of state policies related to solar rights in the Local Government Solar Toolkit. Please click here to access the Local Government Solar Toolkit.
Consumer Protection Resources
The links below range from basic residential consumer resources, to resources on land leasing for larger landowners.
- Going Solar in America: A Guide for Homeowners Considering Solar PV in America's 50 Largest Cities
- Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC)
- Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) - Sustomer Resource Portal
- Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) – Consumer Protection Industry Resource Portal
- Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) - Guide to Land Leases for Solar
- Illinois Solar Energy Association (ISEA) - Code of Conduct
- The Solar Foundation - Leasing Municipal & Private Property for Solar: Key Steps & Consideration
Check out these helpful links below to discover Elgin's Solar Energy Potential.
Find an Installer
These resources are for residents and businesses who are looking to verify that they are using a certified, trusted installer.