Landlord Training Program
The Landlord Training Program is mandatory for all residential rental license holders in Elgin. This is an informative training opportunity that is required by city ordinance 6.37.100: Owner Responsibility to Attend.
The class is taught by police officers from the Crime- Free Housing Unit. Rental property owners and managers will also benefit from this seminar and are welcome to attend. An array of topics are discussed, which include:
- Successful criminal and civil applicant screening
- Benefits of effective crime-free lease addendums
- Recognition of gang and drug activity
- Successful civil evictions
- Legal issues in rental housing
If you have taken the Crime Free Multi Housing Landlord Class somewhere else or if you’re outside the Chicagoland area, do not sign up. Please contact a Crime Free Housing Officer.
Sign-up for Online Landlord Training
The fee to take this training is $22 and it will be invoiced after the class is completed.
Steps to login to take the class
- Create an account in the upper right-hand corner
- Click Learn on the upper toolbar, under the search bar
- Click Online Landlord Class
- To launch the class click the blue Register tab
After completing the course, you will be emailed a certificate. If you don't receive the email, please be sure to check your Junk/Spam folder to make sure it wasn't directed away from your inbox. If you have any issues, contact a Crime Free Housing Officer.
Rental Licensing Requirements
- Rental Licensing Requirements.
- Rental License Application (PDF)
- Rental License Pre-Inspection Guide (PDF).
In-Person Training Sites, Dates and Times
There are currently no dates scheduled due to the availability of the online course. If you would like to be placed on a waiting list for a class, specify which language preference, English or Spanish, you would like to attend and send an email.